Monday, September 19, 2011

Blog Fading?

Nope, not me! I know I haven't met the goal of posting everyday, or at least several times a week. But I haven't faded. I'm still here in all my colorful glory! Granted, there's less of me now. I'm still working the diet, and am down 81 pounds. Go me!

This past weekend, I was in Scottsbluff, NE for the Scotts Bluff Valley Fiber Arts Fair. I had a blast! Of course I didn't take pictures. That would be evidence. LOL  Seriously though, the amount of fiber and yarn I came home with is evidence enough. My friend Kat came home from knit night on Wednesday with me and we set out early Thursday morning.

We got to Scottsbluff and then to Mitchell, NE with an extra hour to shop at the Brown Sheep Woolen Mill because of the time change. Western Nebraska is in Mountain time. So that was awesome. The mill has a "seconds" shop. Some of the yarn that's in there is seconds because maybe there was something wrong with the label. Maybe it has some knots in the yarn. Maybe the color wasn't quite right. Whatever the case, the handpainted yarns are $26 a pound and everything else is $13 a pound. They have mill end rovings and "spinning bells" or "dryer lint" that is mostly superwash. But there is some 100% wool and some that has mohair in it. That is all $5.75 a pound. 

Let's just say that I have enough to keep me busy through the winter! LOL I did buy some yarn to make my hot water bottle a Perry the Platypus costume! And, I bought some burly spun (which is thicker than a bulky weight) in Black and Elderberry Wine, which is a varigated purple.   Hmmm. Me? Buy Purple? Who would've thought?! LOL

Then on Friday, it was time for the classes. I took a class called "Warp, Weave, Wrap It Up!"  It was taught by Liz Gipson, and was very informative. We did a space woven scarf. When we warped the looms, we left big gaps so that there were 8 lengths of yarn, then a space (that would accomodate 8 lengths of yarn) and then more yarn. So, there were 4 groups of yarn with 3 spaces. Then when we wove it, we would leave spaces in the weft.

Saturday was the Fiber Arts Fair itself. There were a bunch of vendors there selling all kinds of fibery goodness. There were llamas and alpacas and cashmere goats. There was someone selling goats milk soap, which, if you haven't tried it... do, it is phenomenal!!!  There were people there demonstrating different fiber crafts. There was a guy demonstrating tatting which is one way to make lace. There were "learn to knit" and "learn to crochet" tables, and a "learn to weave" table. Someone was demonstrating how to use a kniting spool, and I sat there for about however long it took to make myself a belt! I had gone to the Target earlier in the morning and looked at belts, but couldn't make myself pay $26! I figured someone was bound to have some yarn somewhere in the building where I was going to spend the day. LOL

Sunday, we slept in a bit and then got on the road headed home. It was sooooo good to sleep in my own bed with my own pillows last night.

When I take a picture of the stash enhancement that took place, I will post it. Until then, you will just have to imagine.... 10 skeins of burly spun black, 8 of the purple, 2 cones of lace and 4 bags that have rovings and spinning bells...

No comments:

Post a Comment